The central sterilization unit of Hayat National Hospital Group (Riyadh, Aseer, Jazan, and Qassim) are responsible for the sterilization of all tools, surgical kits, surgical dressing equipment, respiratory and anesthesia devices. Sterilization is carried out in the latest international methods and standards.
The sterilization unit is divided into three separate sections:
- Laundry and disinfection area:
All contaminated instruments are received and classified and the tools are washed in special washers.
- Assembly, sterilization and packaging section:
The tools are separated and checked for their condition and wrapped in the appropriate cover.
Sterilization is done by three different methods depending on the tool to be sterilized:
– Plasma sterilization for instruments like surgical endoscopy lenses.
– Formalin sterilization is for instruments like metal surgical tools containing plastic parts.
– Steam sterilization for instruments like medical gauze, metal tools, and instruments that withstand 121 degrees for 20 minutes or 134 for five minutes.
- Sterile equipment preservation section:
Sterile instruments are kept at a temperature of 15-25 ° C and humidity between 20-70%. The surgical instruments are transported to the operation rooms via an elevator designated only for this purpose.